Friday, July 31, 2026

Schadenfreude Oni Skulls

In Japan, the summer is the time for chilling ghost stories, to try to cool off in the hot (and humid!) weather.  In my personal opinion, year round is the time for chilling ghost stories, and I read short horror stories (short because I'm REALLY BAD at putting books down and tend to just read all night and not sleep...) before bed, because that's just the sort of person I am (I got started early, my grandmother loved watching horror movies with me when I was a baby, this probably explains a lot about me).  In Second Life, the region of Hakoniwa has undergone a transformation into a spooky night time wonderland, for Hyakki Yakou, the Night Parade of One Hundred Demons.

There are events, there is music, there will be a parade!  Dressing up for the occasion is encouraged, come as your favourite ghost, demon, or monster!  There is also a market at the entrance, with a few shops featuring spooky goods and freebies- including this horned demon skull, from me.  One, two, or three horns; without jaw, with attached closed jaw, or with jaw as a separate linked part you can edit yourself; use the HUD to choose between bone, metal, or coloured textures all with PBR with fallback and Blinn-Phong options; 1 Land Impact each skull from human skull size to a bit larger.  Unrigged, but hey, I've been wearing it on my head anyway (with my favourite skeleton body).  An update to the Chopsticks with Eyeball is also there as a free gift- more eye colours, PBR and Blinn-Phong texture options.

Hyakki Yakou is open August 1 - August 23, but it's on Japan time! So treat those dates as 8AM the previous morning instead.  The parade will be on August 22, the website has a schedule for events!  (Google translate does a decent job of presenting the information in English.  Read the story on the last tab of the menu, especially!)

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover